UC Davis employs over 1,000 postdoctoral scholars who contribute to the academic community by enhancing the research and education programs of the university. The postdoctoral experience emphasizes scholarship and continued research training. UC's postdoctoral scholars bring expertise and creativity that enrich the research environment for all members of the university community, including graduate and undergraduate students.
In November 2008, the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW) was recognized as the exclusive representative of UC postdoctoral scholars. Individuals in the following titles are in the postdoctoral Scholar bargaining unit (coded as the PX unit):
- Postdoctoral Scholar — Employee (Title Code 3252)
- An appointment is made in the title Postdoctoral Scholar Employee when (1) the agency funding the salary requires or permits the appointee to be an employee of the University, or (2) whenever General Funds, Opportunity Funds or other University discretionary funds are used to support the position.
- Postdoctoral Scholar — Fellow (Title Code 3253)
- An appointment is made in the title Postdoctoral Scholar Fellow when the Postdoctoral Scholar has been awarded a fellowship or traineeship for postdoctoral study by an extramural agency and the fellowship or traineeship is paid through a University account.
- Postdoctoral Scholar — Paid Direct (Title Code 3254)
- An appointment is made in the title Postdoctoral Scholar - Paid Direct when the Postdoctoral Scholar has been awarded a fellowship or traineeship for postdoctoral study by an extramural agency and the fellowship or traineeship is paid directly to the Postdoctoral Scholar, rather than through a University account. These appointments will have a “without salary” status.
- Postdoctoral Scholar - Employee NEX (Title Code 3255)
- An appointment is made in the title Postdoctoral Scholar-- Employee NEX when: the agency funding the salary requires or permits the appointee to be an
employee of the University, or whenever General Funds, Opportunity Funds or other University discretionary funds are used to support the position. and based on the percentage appointment of the Postdoctoral Scholar, the prorated salary per week does not meet the FLSA salary level test.
- Postdoctoral Scholar - Interim Postdoctoral Scholar - Employee (Title Code 3256
- An appointment is made in the title Interim Postdoctoral Scholar--Employee when UC graduate students who recently obtained their PhD degree or equivalent who need a short-term appointment to complete an existing project from their graduate educational programs before moving on to other employment. While Postdocs may be appointed more than once to TC 3256, no one shall be appointed in TC 3256 for more than a cumulative total of 12 months in one or multiple appointments.
Postdoctoral scholar appointments are intended to provide a full-time program of advanced academic preparation and research training. Appointment as a postdoctoral scholar requires a doctoral degree (Ph.D., M.D.) or foreign equivalent. Individuals pursuing clinical fellowships and residencies in the health sciences are excluded from appointment to these titles.
Postdoctoral Scholar – Employee (Title code 3252)
The initial appointment of a Postdoctoral Scholar at the University shall be for a minimum of one (1) year. The first reappointment of a Postdoctoral Scholar from any title into the title Postdoctoral Scholar–Employee shall be for a minimum of two (2) years; however, reappointment may be for less than two years under the following circumstances:
Less than two (2) years of programmatic work
Less than two (2) years of funding
Exhausted eligibility as a Postdoctoral
Work authorization limitations
Change in PI
Subsequent reappointment may be for less than one (1) year if the following circumstances occur:
Less than one (1) year of programmatic work
Less than one (1) year of funding
Exhausted eligibility as a Postdoctoral Scholar
Work authorization limitations
Postdoctoral Scholar–Fellow (Title code 3253) and Postdoctoral Scholar–Paid Direct (Title code 3254)
Appointments and reappointments into the title(s) Postdoctoral Scholar–Fellow and/or Postdoctoral Scholars–Paid Direct shall be for a minimum duration equal to the duration of the fellowship or extramural funding.
Interim Postdoctoral Scholar – Employee (Title code 3256)
When the University appoints a Postdoctoral Scholar in the Interim Postdoctoral Scholar-Employee title the appointment shall be for less than one (1) year. Should an Interim Postdoctoral Scholar-Employee (TC 3256) be appointed as a Postdoctoral Scholar - Employee (TC 3252) at the conclusion of the interim appointment, their hire date shall remain the original date of appointment into the interim title.
Below is the salary scale in affect for new appointments and renewals on or after June 1, 2018.
|Appointment Step for Experience Level||Minimum Stipend Salary Rates|
|0 (0-11 months)||$49,188|
|1 (12-23 months)||$51,324|
|2 (24-35 months)||$53,184|
|3 (36-47 months)||$55,308|
|4 (48-60 months)||$57,528|
|5 (61-72 months) by exception||$59,736|
Less than 100% Time Appointments
Postdoctoral scholar may request appointments for less than 100% time (total of all appointments) for one of three reasons: health, family responsibilities or external employment. The postdoctoral scholar and the PI must complete a memorandum of understanding regarding the responsibilities and duties to be expected. See the Petition for Exception.