Filing Fee

Filing Fee Application

What is Filing Fee?

Filing Fee is an optional, one quarter, terminal status that allows students completing their degree to pay a $162 filing fee in lieu of registration fees. While on filing fee, students will not enroll in any coursework or use university resources.  

Eligibility & Requirements

To be eligible for Filing Fee, you must have:

  • Advanced to candidacy in the degree objective.
  • Completed all required coursework and degree requirements, except the final requirement(s).
  • Completed all research.
  • Completed or nearly completed a final draft of the thesis or dissertation (if applicable).

While on Filing Fee, you may not:

  • Use any university facilities (e.g. Housing, Campus Recreation, laboratories, desk space).  Exceptions - You may purchase health insurance and ARC membership.  You may use career and professional development services offered through the Grad Pathways Institute, the Internship and Career Center, the University Writing Program, and associated programs.
  • Utilize faculty time other than the final reading of the thesis or dissertation and/or holding the final exam or assessment.
  • Receive a fellowship or financial aid.
  • Take coursework of any kind.
  • Conduct your thesis/dissertation research - Including work as a GSR related to your thesis/dissertation research


Complete the Filing Fee Application, and pay the fee online at the Graduate Studies Form Store or through the Cashier's Office. The receipt and completed form should be submitted to your Graduate Coordinator for forwarding to Graduate Studies Senior Academic Advisors (SAA's).  If approved, an SAA will email you confirmation and attach the signed form for your records.

Form Submission Deadline

Students who enrolled in any units for the Filing Fee quarter

The completed form must be received by Graduate Studies prior to the first day of instruction to avoid owing a percentage of fees based on the UC Davis Schedule of Refunds.

Students who have not enrolled in the Filing Fee quarter

Completed forms should be submitted to Graduate Studies by the 10th day of instruction, but will be accepted until the last day of instruction for the quarter.

  • If you are employed as a TA/GSR during Filing Fee, you must have a student status prior to starting work.
  • International students with an F1 or J1 visa must have a student status by the 10th day of instruction.

Filing Fee FAQ's

  • Can I be employed while on Filing Fee?
  • You may hold an academic appointment title (GSR, TA, AI, or similar titles) for one quarter only.  Please note: During your filing fee quarter you are responsible for purchasing your own health insurance as you are not a registered student.  Students working as a GSR in a lab may not be working on materials in any way related to their thesis/dissertation research, and may want to consider a TA position if this is unavoidable.  
  • What happens if I don’t finish during my Filing Fee quarter? 
  • In most cases, students who don’t finish during their filing fee quarter submit a Readmission Application to their program, and enroll for at least one additional quarter or until they complete their final requirement. Readmission is not guaranteed, and must be approved by a program Graduate Advisor.
  • Can I request a Filing Fee extension?
  • Graduate Studies will review filing fee extension requests in cases where unavoidable and significant extenuating circumstances prevented a student from finishing on time.  Delays in research or having not completed most of the writing at the beginning of the filing fee quarter are not appropriate reasons for extension.  To request a filing fee extension form, email the Graduate Studies SAA's ( and describe the situation.  
  • Can I go from PELP to Filing Fee?
  • No, students on PELP must enroll full-time or through in-absentia for at least one quarter prior to applying for filing fee status.
  • Do I have access to UC SHIP while on Filing Fee?
  • You will not automatically be enrolled in UC SHIP while you're on filing fee status, even if you're a TA/GSR, as it is tied to your registration.  You can enroll in Voluntary UC Ship for one quarter of filing fee.
  • Does Filing Fee affect my international student status while in the US?
  • Filing Fee is a recognized student status and does not affect your ability to stay in the US, but you must notify your SISS advisor that you will be going on filing fee.
  • Can an international student begin OPT while one Filing Fee?
  • If you have been approved for OPT, you may be able to start while on Filing Fee. Talk to your SISS Advisor and review the material on the SISS OPT website - Graduate OPT Online Workshops and the PowerPoint presentation are available
  • Does Filing Fee affect my loan repayment?
  • Many loan agencies do not recognize filing fee status as you are no longer considered a full-time registered student at the University. Agencies may require early repayment of student loans. Check with Financial Aid and/or your loan agency to determine if or how filing fee will affect repayment.