International Student Requirements


There are more than 1,500 international graduate students registered at UC Davis. If you are one of them, we extend a warm welcome to you and hope your experience here will be positive and productive. There are some special rules and regulations that apply to you with regard to enrollment, finances, visas, employment, travel, and other academic and personal matters.

The first place you should go upon arriving at UC Davis is Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS). There you can find answers to almost any question you might have regarding your status as a member of the international community on campus and in the city of Davis. The staff is very knowledgeable and can put you in touch with other students and scholars from your home country. They are available to help you as you adjust to graduate life at UC Davis. Go to the SISS website or call them at (530) 752-0864.  

Enrollment Requirements for New International Students

If you are a new international student, you will have an immigration hold that must be released by SISS before you can complete registration. Graduate students must enroll in a minimum of 12 units but not more than 16 units each quarter, as required by the Office of the President and Academic Senate regulations (UC Regulations, Ch. 3.1.72). Exceptions are made for part-time students, international students with prior approval from SISS, and students with special circumstances.

English Language Requirements

International students may be required to take additional English language examinations or courses. For additional information, please visit the following links on the International & Academic English website: