dollar bills

Fellowship Information for Account Managers

These instructions are intended for staff who do not have access to the Grad Track$ forms in BANNER and who need to pay a fellowship to an academic graduate student from departmental funds.  Stipend fellowships, Tuition & Fee fellowships, and Nonresident Supplemental Tuition (NRST) fellowships are paid to academic graduate students via the Banner Student Information System (SIS). The fellowship expense associated with each Banner fellowship payment is charged to a corresponding KFS account.

Need to pay an undergraduate or professional degree student? Visit the Financial Aid and Scholarships website.

Before Beginning

Please be sure that a fellowship award letter has been issued to the student before proceeding with payment. Need to write a fellowship award letter? Here are some examples and best practices.

A few items to note:

  • An account can only be used once per quarter, so we cannot process both a one-time payment and a monthly payment from the same account for the same quarter.
  • Fellowships disburse at the end of the month (paid in arrears). Therefore, if you want a payment made to a student on June 1st, you would need to submit a payment request in mid-May. The disbursement schedule may be found here.
  • The last day for payment requests for the academic year is June 1st.
  • In order to receive a fellowship, students must be enrolled full-time (12 units or more) during the quarter. Students on part-time status, PELP, or Filing Fee cannot receive a fellowship.

KFS Account Requirements

Before a fellowship can be processed in Banner, a Banner Fund Code must be initiated to link the banner payment to the KFS account.  Student fellowship expense (object codes 72GS, 72GF, 72GN, and 777N) can only be charged to KFS accounts with Higher Education Function Code of "FINA". Also, the six-digit UC Account Number should begin with "79" (Student Financial Aid-Grad). For information on how to initiate a KFS account, visit the How Do I Create an Account page.

Once Your Account is Established

Step 1: Is your account brand new or never been used to pay a fellowship before?
Yes! If a fellowship has never been paid from a KFS account, you must first submit a request to initiate a new Banner fund code via our online Graduate Studies Banner Fund Code Request form. In order to access this form, you must log in in via CAS (Kerberos login). The KFS account must be initiated and fully approved before a Banner Fund Code can be processed. Once you have completed this form, please proceed to Step 2.
No! If the account has been used before, please proceed to Step 2. Unsure if your account has been used before? Send an email to
Step 2: Submitted your Banner fund code request, or have an account that has already been used to pay a fellowship?
Fill out the Graduate Student Fellowship Payment Request (GS503) form.
Use the above form to initiate the payment of fellowships (Stipends, Tuition and Fees, or Non-Resident Supplemental Tuition (NRST)) to be paid from departmental funds to academic graduate students. For new accounts or accounts that have never been used to pay a fellowship, the Banner Fund Code Request form (Step 1) must be submitted prior to, or concurrently with, the submission of the GS Fellowship Payment Request form.