About the Award
The Allen G. Marr Prize was established in honor of Allen G. (Jerry) Marr's 20-year contribution as Dean of Graduate Studies and Research and his commitment to the highest standards of scholarship and professional ethics. An annual prize is awarded by Graduate Studies to a present or past UC Davis doctoral student in honor of superior dissertation work. Each year the competition is in different discipline areas. The prize is patterned after the Council of Graduate Schools/ProQuest Distinguished Dissertation Award.
The fields of competition for the 2022 award are Mathematics, Physical Sciences, and Engineering and Social Sciences. The application deadline for the 2021-2022 Academic Year is March 4, 2022.
- SELECTION CRITERIA
- The fields of competition for the 2022 award are Mathematics, Physical Sciences, and Engineering and Social Sciences. The applicant's dissertation should represent original work making an unusually significant contribution to the disciplines. Both methodological and substantive quality will be judged.
- The applicant's effective date of degree award, or the completion of doctoral degree requirements and dissertation, must fall in the period of July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022. Such degree award or completion will be confirmed by the UC Davis Dean of Graduate Studies or another administrative officer responsible for doctoral degree programs. DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: March 4, 2022 by 11:59 p.m..
- REQUIRED MATERIALS
- • Each applicant must prepare a dissertation abstract (not to exceed 10 double-spaced pages).
• Appendices containing non-textual material, such as charts or tables, may be included (not to exceed 5 pages).
• Three letters of recommendation evaluating the significance and quality of the nominee’s dissertation work. One of these letters is to be from the applicant's dissertation supervisor, another from a member of the applicant's dissertation committee, and the third from a person of the applicant's choice.
• The applicant’s curriculum vitae (not to exceed five pages).
- AWARD AND SUBMISSION DETAILS
- The Allen G. Marr Award consists of:
• $2,000 prize
• Will be the campus’ nominee for the CGS/ProQuest award
• Announcement of the awardee
The completed application must be submitted via InfoReady no later than 11:59 pm on March 4, 2022. if you have any questions or concerns, contact Internal Fellowship Analysts Heidi West and Lauren McDiarmid at firstname.lastname@example.org.