Below are the specific details and criteria to participate in either or both 2021 celebrations, please note the virtual or in-person celebration does not indicate the conferral of degree or completion of graduation requirements. Students must still complete their degree requirements to receive the degree.
On June 10, an in-person stage name recognition celebration will be held with specific time slots students can register for. This is NOT a commencement ceremony. Students will not be walking with their specific program, rather by the time slot they sign up for. There will not be a hooding ceremony for Ph.D. students and faculty are not allowed to present their students. The entire in-person event will be live-streamed online to ensure anyone who cannot attend in person can still witness this important milestone, the link will be posted to our website the day of the event. Coronavirus precautions and regulations on gatherings mean there will not be a commencement program or speakers present to address the class. Groups will be asked not to linger in the area, which will need to be prepared for the next group of graduates.
- Graduates who choose to participate in the in-person processional may each bring two guests.
- Guests must bring a completed COVID-19 vaccination card to the event, while students will have the option of showing proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination or a negative test result for COVID-19 from the previous 72 hours.
- Any student traveling from outside California must show proof of vaccination.
The in-person celebration entails:
- Graduates with up to two guests will be asked to arrive at the Pavilion Parking Structure. The festivities will begin as soon as everyone is checked in.
- Graduates and their guests — spaced at least six feet from other graduates and their guests at all times — will walk their way through a series of tents with differing themes.
- Graduates will cross the stage, receive a ceremonial scroll (without shaking hands) and have their name read aloud. A professional photographer will be on hand to document the special moment and attendees can briefly celebrate their new alumni status in a tent organized by the Cal Aggie Alumni Association, before heading back to the parking structure.
In-Person Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility to participate in the in-person celebration is as follows. There are no exceptions:
- Only students who have advanced to candidacy, filed to graduate or have had a degree awarded from September 30, 2020 - May 7, 2021 are eligible to participate.
- Advancing to candidacy is a degree requirement and must be completed prior to filing to graduate.
On June 11, a virtual celebration will be held for all eligible graduate students (Students who have advanced to candidacy from September 30, 2020 - May 7, 2021). Please note, advancing to candidacy is a degree requirement and must be completed prior to filing to graduate.
- Graduates will have the opportunity to create a personalized slide and their names will be pre-recorded by a professional name reader.
- The Virtual Celebration will be available on this webpage on June 11 at 8:00 a.m. and can be viewed at any time.
Commencement Celebration Slides
Below is a preview of the Commencement slides you can customize for the celebration.