Summer GSR Award for Engineering or Computer-related Applications and Methods
Continuing graduate students pursuing research in engineering, or continuing students from other disciplines, who are developing new computer-related applications and methods, such as materials science and nanotechnology, computational science, bioinformatics, and information technology. A broad definition of the relevant research fields and research topics will be used in accepting applications and the above are example areas.
Date and Amount of Award
Awards will be made for the three-month period of July 1 to September 30, 2020. The award is a GSR Step I salary at 100% time ($3,457/month for a total salary of $10,371.00).
The Summer Graduate Student Researcher awards must be matched with in-kind graduate student support funds during the coming academic year. The match should consist of a minimum of 6 months (2 quarters) of GSR salary support at 50% or student support of equivalent value. It is anticipated that extramural research grants will be the predominant source of matching funds. Teaching Assistant appointments do not constitute an appropriate match. It shall be the responsibility of the program Chairs to obtain commitments, from faculty mentors of students nominated for Summer GSR Awards, to provide matching support during academic year 2020-2021.
The Chairs of the Graduate Programs or designees will nominate graduate students. Information required for the nominated students consists of the following:
- Name, e-mail address, degree objective, and student ID of the graduate student.
- Name, title, e-mail address and department of the faculty mentor.
- Year student was admitted to UC Davis.
- Research Project Information: A brief description of the student's research project and how the project relates to the engineering and development of computer applications and methods (no more than a single paragraph).
- Student Reference Information: For example, evidence of ability in research or other creative accomplishment, evidence of intellectual capacity, promise of productive scholarship, and/or the importance of their work/contribution to the specific field (no more than a single paragraph).
- Confirmation of in-kind support funds for 2020-21 academic year.
- Ranking of candidate (if submitting more than one student).
Please use the Summer GSR Award Nominations Form for the nomination.
FOR GRADUATE PROGRAM USE ONLY
Rankings: The Graduate Program Chair or delegated faculty must provide a ranking (1 being the highest) of graduate student nominees. Programs may nominate as many students as they would like. The program rankings, along with review ratings by the Internal Fellowship Faculty Review Committee, will be used to allocate the Summer GSR Awards.
Due Date: The ranked nominations from graduate programs must be submitted to Graduate Studies by close of business on Friday, May 1, 2020. Nominations should be compiled into one PDF, in rank order, and submitted electronically (this is preferred) as attached files to an email to Heidi West at email@example.com with the phrase “Summer GSR Award” in the subject line.
Awards: Awards will be announced the week of June 1, 2020. Selected students, their faculty mentor, and program staff will be advised via e-mail. Program staff will also be advised on procedures for transferring funds from Graduate Studies to a departmental account to fund the GSR.