Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible to participate?
- The minimum requirement is that the student be advanced to candidacy. Please see our eligibility requirements on the Details, Eligibility and Registration page.
- I am a degree candidate. How do I register?
- An email was sent to all eligible students (Advanced to Candidacy, Filed to Graduate, or Degree Awarded students from September 30, 2020 to May 7, 2021), if you did not receive an email, please check your spam/junk folder first, and email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What time is commencement and where will it be located?
- The Graduate Studies commencement will take place on June 10, 2021, on Hutchinson Field. The AM Session begins at 10:30am and the PM Session begins at 3:30pm.
- What time should degree candidates arrive for the commencement ceremony?
- An hour prior to their session.
- Do my guests need tickets to attend my commencement celebration?
- Graduates are able to bring up to two guests and the ticketing is part of the celebration registration process. All guests must be vaccinated or provide a negative COVID test within 72 hours in lieu of a vaccination card.
- Can I change how my name is announced for the ceremony?
- Yes, if you will have the opportunity to record your name with the "Full Measure Recording" option.
- Why is my name announcement pre-recorded for the ceremony?
- Graduate Studies is committed to diversity and we want to honor each student participant at our commencement ceremony by accurately announcing your name as you proudly walk across the stage. Please take a moment during your registration for the celebration to use the optional, ‘Full Measure Recording’ feature to make a recording of your name as you would want the professional reader to record it for the ceremony. (This process is completed by entering a phone number and the system will call the phone number you entered and prompt you in making the recording.)
- Is there a dress code for commencement ceremonies?
- While there is no formal dress code, our commencement celebration is an important event, and many people choose to dress up for the occasion. It is strongly encouraged to wear academic attire called 'regalia', which consists of a cap, gown, tassel, and hood, which can be rented through UC Davis Stores. Please wear walking (comfortable) shoes. High heels are not recommend because the event is on a grassy field.
- What will my hood and tassel look like?
- The color of your hood and tassel is determined by your school and degree. The commencement tassel will be provided with your cap and gown rental. Visit the UC Davis Stores website for more information.
- Where do I get my regalia (cap, gown, tassel and hood) and other gift items for commencement?
- Regalia (cap, tassel, gown and hood), announcements, diploma frames, and graduation gifts can all be purchased online through the UC Davis Stores. Please visit UC Davis Stores for price lists, ordering, and information. Announcements are shipped within two days of ordering. Make sure to order wallet-sized portraits to include in your announcements! Order and pick up early to avoid any delays or long lines.
UC Davis Stores
UC Davis Campus
- Will I receive my diploma at the commencement ceremony?
Once you have completed your degree requirements and filed to graduate contact the Office of the Registrar for the diploma and official transcripts showing the awarding of your degree.
A scroll commemorating the celebration is presented to each participant at commencement.
- Will someone be taking pictures and videos?
- Yes, Grad Images will be taking individual photographs of each candidate after they walk off the stage.
- Are there provisions for graduating students with disabilities?
- Yes, if you require any special accommodations, please email email@example.com.
- Where am I allowed to park on campus?
- Parking is free in designated areas for those attending commencement celebration. Directional signs reading "Commencement Parking" are placed at all entrances to the campus.
- Will there be food or drink vendors at the commencement celebration?
- No. Due to health and safety protocols, only water in closed containers will be permitted at the in-person commencement processional.
- Can I bring a cooler or other large bag? What is the bag policy?
All bags (including purses, fanny packs and backpacks) are subject to search before being allowed into the event. All prohibited items will not be allowed into the stadium. Bags shall be small enough to fit completely under one seat (occupied by bags’ owner), and shall be so kept at all times to maintain clear aisles, walkways, and stairs. Hard-sided cases and coolers are prohibited. Prohibited items include: cans, glass or open containers; chairs; hard-sided coolers; alcoholic beverages; bicycles, skateboards, scooters; animals (except service animals); artificial noisemakers and musical instruments; weapons. Approved bags include: 12” x 6” x 12” clear plastic bag; 1-gallon clear plastic storage bag; 5.5” x 8.5” clutch purse; 3” x 4” clutch purse.
- Will the UC Davis stores be open during commencement?
- UC Davis Stores will likely be open during commencement weekend.
- Will the ceremony be webcast?
- Yes, the Graduate Studies commencement will be shown live via a webcast for friends and family members unable to attend the ceremony. This is a wonderful feature that allows them to experience the event.
- Who can help me with registration technical issues?
- If you are having problems accessing or registering, please contact the Commencement Coordinator.
The terms and conditions as stated on this website are subject to change at any time, with or without notice.