Winter Break Resources for Grad Students and Postdocs
Resources will be available on and off campus
From everyone at UC Davis Graduate Studies, we wish you a restful and restorative Winter Break. Things will look a little different around campus during the break, but resources are still available for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
Walker Hall Closure and Graduate Studies Staff Availability
The Graduate Center at Walker Hall will be closed to the public from Monday, December 12, 2022 – January 6, 2023. We will reopen on the first day of the Winter Instruction, Monday, January 9.
On Wednesday, December 14, 2022, Graduate Studies offices will be closed and staff will be away from their desks to attend the annual winter celebration.
Responses during the holiday season from Graduate Studies staff may be slow. If you anticipate needing to reach Graduate Studies, please contact us as early as possible. We appreciate your patience.
Health and Well-Being
In case of emergency, call 911 or UC Davis Police at 530-754-2677.
For Winter Break COVID-19 testing guidance and free testing options, please visit this Campus Ready webpage.
Mental Health Resources
For a full list of mental health resources for graduate students, including how to connect with Dr. Bai-Yin Chen during the Walker Hall closure, please visit our Counseling Services webpage. Below are a few of the many resources that will remain available during the break:
- Aggie Mental Health provides written resources about general mental health topics, as well as information on accessing crisis support and ongoing support.
- Online Counseling is available through Student Health and Counseling Services.
- Crisis Text Line is a free, 24/7, immediate and confidential texting service for people in crisis. Text RELATE to 741741 from anywhere in the U.S. to text with a trained crisis counselor.
- Free, 24/7 mental health crisis consultation services are also available through Suicide Prevention of Yolo County.
- If you are experiencing an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. In the city of Davis, Sutter Davis Hospital is the closest emergency department.
For self-care resources, visit the Aggie Mental Health site, which offers free, mobile-friendly modules, worksheets and an open access library.
For resources on managing holiday-related stress, visit UC Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center webpage.
Physical Health and Well-Being Resources
- The UC Davis Student Health and Wellness Center will be closed December 23-26, 2022 and December 30-January 2. Here’s how to get help when the Student Health and Wellness Center is closed.
- The Activities and Recreation Center (ARC) will be open during the break with modified hours. It will be closed Friday, December 23rd through Sunday, December 25th.
- Now is also great time to join our Thriving During Grad School community! The Thriving in Graduate School program will help you cultivate well-being in your personal, academic and professional life. This year-long program includes a weekly newsletter and frequent in-person workshops and informal events. Graduate students can sign up at any time.
Basic Needs Resources
Below are a few basic needs resources available on campus and in Yolo County. If you are in crisis, please visit the Aggie Compass Basic Needs Center website for a full list of resources.
- The ASUCD Pantry (The ASCUD Pantry—located at the MU—will be open during the winter break. Please check their Instagram account for hours. Hours should be publicly available by 12/12/22.)
- Yolo Food Bank
- Rapid Rehousing
Student Parent Resources
The Women’s Resources and Research Center (WRRC) offers many free resources focused on supporting student parents at UC Davis and their families. The WRRC student parent closet will be closed over the break, but WRRC staff will be available over the break via email and Zoom appointments. Email email@example.com or one of WRRC's career staff for more information.
For a full list of resources available to student parents, please visit the UC Davis Student Parent resource hub.
From December 5 though January 6, Unitrans will be operating on various modified schedules.
Yolobus will follow a Sunday schedule on December 25 and January 1.
Yolobus Route 42A/B runs between the UC Davis Memorial Union, downtown Sacramento and the Sacramento International Airport.
Campus Building Hours
Many campus buildings will be closed for at least part of the winter break.
- The Memorial Union will be closed intermittently during the holiday break. Please visit their hours page for full details.
- The Peter J. Shields Library Main Building will be closed for part of the winter break, but the 24-hour reading room and other spaces will remain open with regular hours or on a modified schedule. For a full list of hours, please visit the library hours webpage.
- Many departmental buildings will be closed or open with modified hours. Please contact your department for more information.
Did we forget something? Need help finding resources? Please visit our resource guide.
If you still need help after reviewing the resources in this guide, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll connect you with the appropriate staff member to help you address your needs. You can also contact a staff member directly through our staff directory.