Skip to main content

Financial Support Tips

Financial Support Tips for Newly Admitted Graduate Students

There are numerous options and opportunities to fund your education here at UC Davis. Below is a series of finance tips from the Graduate Studies Student Financial Support team. These resources center on fellowship and funding opportunities, priorities for saving before your arrival, and terminology at UC Davis.

The differences between Fellowship, Academic Appointment, and Student Loan

A Fellowship, the equivalent of a ‘scholarship’ in the undergraduate world, is an award that is free money with few, if any, strings attached.

An Academic Appointment is student employment at UC Davis. e.g., a Teaching Assistant (TA) position or Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) position.

Student Loans are funds borrowed from an external source via the UC Davis Financial Aid Office.

Learn more about these funding sources by visiting our Financial Support website.

Financial Support Tip #1: Have enough in your bank account to last through November 1st and be aware of when graduate student tuition & fees are due.


Funding until November 1st

While graduate school begins in late September, the first pay date for fellowship stipends and academic appointment salaries is November 1st.

At UC Davis, stipends and salaries are paid a month in arrears. For example, while the 2019-2020 fellowship period begins on October 1st, your first stipend installment would be paid to you on November 1st. The campus systems do not allow us to make payments earlier than this date.

If you have Tuition & Fee fellowship or qualifying academic appointment, it will automatically be applied to your account in the fall quarter. If you do not have a fellowship or academic appointment, then you are responsible for paying your own Tuition & Fees. Academic graduate students have until the 8th week of the quarter to pay their Tuition & Fees. The published payment due date for fall 2019-2020 Tuition & Fees is November 14, 2019. If your fall quarter account balance is not paid by the 8th week of the quarter (November 14th) you will be dropped from winter quarter classes, or if you haven’t registered, a hold will be placed on winter enrollment. You will also be charged a $110 late fee.

Be sure to have enough savings to last through November 1st and be aware of when graduate student Tuition & Fees are due.


Campus Grants and Loans

UC Davis provides several grants and loans to support incoming students that can be disbursed to you the last week of September (to help relieve the financial burden caused by the first fall paycheck disbursement date of November 1st).

Graduate Assistant Loan: Available to Teaching Assistants, Graduate Student Researchers, Associate Instructors, and Post-Graduate Researchers

Graduate Student Child Care Grant (GSCCG): This grant is not need-based with funding of up to $1,100 per quarter.

Community-Based Care Grant (CBCG): This grant is need-based that supplements the GSCCG funds. Amounts vary based on ages of children in childcare.

Emergency Loan: Available in several increments throughout the academic year, emergency loans can supply money before your first paycheck.


Social Security Number Submission

In compliance with the Internal Revenue Service Code, UC Davis must obtain Social Security Numbers (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN) from all enrolled students. Entering your Social Security number into the Student Information System (SISWEB) is extremely important so we can accurately track and report your financial support.

To provide your Social Security Number, login to the SISWEB page and click on “Personal Information.” Click “Report SSN” to enter your SSN.

International students: Visit the Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS) page for more information about this process and assistance.


Enroll in Direct Deposit

We strongly encourage students to sign up for Direct Deposit to expedite your future student refunds, your employment checks, and to minimize the chances of problems such as misplaced, lost, or stolen payments. Direct Deposit allows students to have their funds transferred electronically into a bank account of their choosing. We recommend you enroll in both “Student Refunds” and “Employee Payroll" as soon as possible.


Statement of Legal Residence

All incoming students must complete a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) so that a residence determination can be made. The level of Tuition & Fees assessed each term is based on the residence classification of each student (California Resident or Nonresident).


Establishing California Residency

For incoming US Citizens and Permanent Residents who are not already California residents, it is very important that you immediately begin to establish California Residence for Purposes of Tuition. Please carefully review the “How to Establish Residency” information provided by the Office of the University Registrar (OUR).


Financial Support Regulations

Eligibility for financial support is dependent on meeting and maintaining specific requirements and regulations. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Minimum GPA (3.0)
  • Good academic standing
  • Full-time registration (12 units per quarter)
  • An active student status (students on PELP (Planned Education Leave Program) status are not considered active students)
  • An eligible citizenship status

Learn more about student status requirements, tax information, California residency status, general policy, and more by visiting the Fellowship Regulations page or the Employee Regulations Policy page. Further questions? Contact your graduate program coordinator for policy and guidance on financial support regulations.


Graduate Student Employment

As a graduate student you could be hired in a student academic title, Graduate Student Researcher (GSR), or in one of the teaching titles; Teaching Assistant (TA), Associate In (AI), Reader or Tutor. All of these titles receive some type Tuition & Fee remission as a benefit of employment. The teaching titles (TA, AI, Reader and Tutor) are represented by a union bargaining agreement negotiated with the UAW. For details on fee remission benefits, please visit Student Accounting.

If you completed a FAFSA and you are eligible for Work Study please be sure to contact your program coordinator for more details.

If you are an international student receiving employment or fellowship, you will be contacted directly to complete the required forms in Glacier each calendar year prior to being paid. Glacier is an online system for nonresident alien graduate students to manage their tax liablity and compliance status.


Monitoring Your Student Account

Always know how you’re getting paid and always check your student account!

Are you receiving financial support?  If so, you probably draw a monthly check.  But where is that money coming from? It’s important for you to know how and when you’re getting paid – that way, if mistakes ever happen you can make sure they’re fixed ASAP.  And if you’re receiving any kind of financial support, make sure you receive an offer letter that outlines the details of the support.

If you’re a TA or GSR of over 25%, you already know your Tuition & Fees for the quarter will be paid via fee remission – but did you know there might be a balance that is your responsibility to cover? That’s why it’s important that you regularly check your student account. A small balance can affect your future payments and might even keep you from registering for future quarters. Log on to MyBill to check your student account regularly.


Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) Waiver

All currently enrolled students are required to have health insurance. Students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. If you have insurance through another provider, you can apply for a waiver before the start of each academic year. If you are employed in a qualifying title at 25% or more, coverage is included in your fee remission. Visit Student Health and Counseling Services to learn more.


Registration Status

To be classified as a full-time graduate student, you must be registered for at least 12 units each quarter. However, during your time at UC Davis, you may need to take a break, do research outside of California, or complete your thesis or dissertation. Different registration statuses are available that allow you to preserve your status as a current student while being away from campus (but may impact your ability to receive funding). Visit the Graduate Studies website to learn more about them.

  • PELP ($70 fee)
  • In Absentia (Tuition & Fees charged per quarter for 2019-20 will be reduced from $6,180.70 to $2,163)
  • Filing Fee ($162 fee)


AB540 and Undocumented Student Center

UC Davis is committed to recognizing and nurturing merit and achievement by supporting diversity and equal opportunity in academics. Visit the AB540 and Undocumented Student Center to learn about which funding sources you are eligible to receive if you have AB540 or undocumented status.