Skip to main content

California Residence Tuition & Fees

  1. The University of California Regulations for Residence for Purposes of Tuition and Fees differ from those of other California public post-secondary institutions.  They also differ from Admissions and Financial Aid regulations.

  2. Your resident or nonresident classification is determined for purposes of tuition and fees only after you have completed and submitted an online Statement of Legal Residence to the campus Residence Deputy.

  3. The term “California resident for purposes of tuition and fees” comes from the University’s residence regulations and differs from other definitions of California residence. For example, a person who is a California resident for tax or voting purposes will not necessarily be a resident for purposes of tuition and fees. Admissions and Financial Aid definitions of resident also differ and do not confer residence for purposes of tuition and fees.

  4. The length of time you attend the University of California or live in California is not the sole determining factor of residence.

  5. In order to establish residence in California for purposes of tuition and fees, you must have the legal ability to establish a permanent domicile in the United States, meaning you must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or hold a valid, qualifying nonimmigrant visa.

  6. The UC residence regulations require that you prove all of the following:
    • At least 366 days of physical presence in California,
    • Concurrent intent to permanently remain in the state, AND
    • Financial independence.

  7. Graduate students over the age of 24 by December 31 of the year resident classification is sought are presumed to be financially independent. Graduate students under the age of 24 whose parents qualify as California residents under UC residence regulations do not have to verify that they are financially independent. Graduate students whose parents are not California residents must demonstrate that they were not claimed as dependents for the tax year immediately preceding the term for which a resident classification is sought. Graduate students who are graduate student instructors, teaching or research assistants, or teaching associates employed at 49% time or more (or awarded the equivalent in University-administered funds, e.g., grants, stipends, fellowships) in the term for which resident classification is sought may be exempt from the financial independence requirement.

  8. You generally cannot establish California residence for purposes of tuition and fees while maintaining legal ties to another state or country (e.g. state tax liability, driver’s license, voter’s or vehicle registration). Further, if you have moved to California primarily to attend the University of California, you are here for educational purposes and are not eligible for a resident classification for purposes of tuition and fees.

  9. It is your burden to prove, by clear and convincing evidence, that you have satisfied applicable UC residence requirements.

  10. Financial hardship will not be considered when evaluating whether you are able to qualify for California residence for purposes of tuition and fees.

This is only a summary of the main UC regulations for California residence for purposes of tuition and fees. Please access the UC Residence Policy for details or contact the Residence Deputy at