About the Award
The College of Engineering established this annual award in 1999 to honor the student who has submitted the best doctoral dissertation and to publicize some of the outstanding research conducted in the College. This award honors former Dean of the College, Zuhair A. Munir, who led the College from 2000 to 2002 and acted as its Associate Dean for Graduate Studies for 20 years. This Award will not only honor the individual who submitted the best doctoral dissertations within the College of Engineering and publicize their exemplary research but also acknowledges the mentorship of their major professor.
The Dissertation Award will:
- Honor the individual who, in the opinion of the selection committee, has submitted the best doctoral dissertation within the College of Engineering during the eligibility period.
- Publicize some of the outstanding research carried out in the college.
- Acknowledge the mentorship of the major professor.
- All doctoral students who have filed signed dissertations with Graduate Studies during the last two years (March 2018 - January 10, 2020) are eligible.
- NOMINATION PROCESS
- Graduate programs/groups in the College will be asked to submit one nomination per program/group. All nominations should be submitted electronically as a single PDF file to Brady Oppenheim (email@example.com).
- REQUIRED MATERIALS:
- Complete nomination packets will include:
1. A nominating letter (normally written by the major advisor) summarizing the research accomplishments and addressing the review criteria listed below.
2. At least one other recommendation letter from another member of the dissertation committee or department faculty which also addresses the review criteria.
3. A letter from the student describing his or her intellectual input to the work and research accomplishments.
4. A current C.V.
5. One publication (if any) resulting from the dissertation research (if the publication is multiauthored then additional information clearly stating the student’s contributions to this publication is required). 6. The abstract of the student's dissertation.
7. A copy of the dissertation (PDF format only please).
The College Awards Committee will review the nominations and select the recipient(s), based on review of the submitted materials, will choose the award recipient based on the following criteria: originality of the work, style/method, significance of the work to the discipline (impact, interdisciplinary), and recognition. Nomination letters should address each criterion specifically.
- AWARD AND SUBMISSION DETAILS
- The Zuhair A. Munir Award consists of a $1,000 award and plaque for the student.
Deadline for Nominations
December 15, 2019
November 20, 2019 Deadline for nominations to departmental committee for ranking
December 15, 2019 Deadline for nominations and program ranking to Dean's office
To Be Announced Ceremony Date