The Professors for the Future program enhances graduate education and postdoctoral training in several ways:
- PFTF fellows work on projects of their own design to enhance the graduate or postdoctoral experience and professional development of their colleagues. These projects are then presented at an end-of-year colloquium, open to all interested members of the university.
- All fellows receive formal training-in-teaching methods and course design through either the Seminar on College Teaching or self-selected workshops provided by the Center for Educational Effectiveness.
- PFTF fellows participate in a seminar course on Ethics and Professionalism in the University.
- Fellows meet regularly for roundtable panel discussions to promote the participants' professional development, intellectual growth and leadership skills
- Each fellow receives a $3000 stipend.