COVID-19 Graduate Student FAQ

Frequently Asked Question Menu



  • Who can I contact about graduate admissions?
  • The best place to start is to contact your graduate program of interest directly.  The best person in a program is the Graduate Program Coordinator who can give you information about the program and their admissions process and requirements.  You can find graduate program coordinator names, emails, and links to the program website on our UC Davis Graduate Programs page.  General information about graduate admissions is available on our Admission page and a lot of helpful information can be found on our FAQs page.  For general admissions questions, email International applicants should direct questions to
  • Do I need to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) for my 2022-23 application?  
  • Many UC Davis graduate programs have opted to waive the GRE requirements for the 2022-23 admissions cycle while others have removed the GRE requirement completely. However, there are five graduate programs requiring the GRE for 2022-23 which are listed on the Test Score Requirements page

    GRE General Examination: UC Davis accepts both the in-person and at-home exam scores as official. Please note that the at-home version of the GRE may not be available to all applicants based on the country they reside in. Information about ETS at-home testing availability can be found on the GRE website.

    GRE Subject Examinations: Although GRE Subject examinations may be available at ETS testing centers which are currently open for in-person testing, there is no at-home version of this examination. 

  • How can I take an English Language Test for my 2022-23 application?
  • For 2022-23 Admissions, we are accepting the TOEFL iBT (in-person or at-home exam), the IELTS Academic (in-person), the IELTS Indicator (online exam), and the Duolingo English Test (online exam).  Information about those options is available on the Test Score Requirements page.


  • I’m starting my first quarter, can I submit electronic transcripts?
  • Graduate Studies is currently encouraging all students who have attended U.S. colleges and universities to submit those transcripts electronically if that service is offered by the academic records office at your institution. Transcripts must be sent to from the issuing school directly.  For students sending academic records from international institutions, please see our Transcript Requirements for New Admits webpage for specific instructions about sending your documents to us so that we can process them as quickly as possible.

  • I ordered my transcripts.  When will my registration hold be removed?
  • Registration holds will be released once all official transcripts have been received and verified by our office.  Please note that transcript processing for admitted students has been delayed both at UC Davis and at most other institutions. Estimated processing time for electronic transcripts is 4-5 business days after receipt by Graduate Studies. Physical transcripts may take weeks to arrive at campus, and all mail is initially received by a central campus mail office.  Just because your delivery company reports that your package has been delivered, it does not necessarily mean that it has been received by Graduate Studies.  It can still take multiple days to have the transcripts routed to Graduate Studies, and will then take a minimum of 5-10 business days for processing once received by our office.
  • Can I defer my admission to a UC Davis graduate program, and how long can I defer?
  • Students who have not already enrolled, may contact their graduate program directly to inquire whether they are willing to offer you a deferral of your admission offer. Admitted students may defer for up to one year. Please note that you must request your deferral prior to the first day of instruction to the term to which you have been admitted.

    If you have already enrolled at UC Davis, you can no longer defer. You will need to complete an administrative withdrawal through the UC Davis Registrar and complete an application for readmission when you’re ready to return.  Enrolled students who withdraw after the first day of instruction are subject to the Registrar's Schedule of Refunds, and will owe a percentage of fees based on the date they withdraw.
  • What is the deadline for deferral?
  • For students who have not already enrolled, the graduate program must submit your deferral to Graduate Studies by the first day of instruction of the term to which you have been admitted. If you would like to be considered for deferral, we advise you to contact your graduate program as soon as possible.
  • Is there financial support available for first quarter students who cannot receive pay or fellowship for the first month of the quarter?
  • New first quarter graduate students cannot receive TA/GSR pay or fellowship funds until they've been employed/enrolled at UC Davis for a month. Financial Aid and Scholarships has no-interest Emergency, Short-Term, and Graduate Assistance Loan programs. Learn more by visiting the Loan Programs webpage


  • Can I be employed as a TA or GSR if I’m a) in the US but outside of Davis, b) outside the US, c) an incoming student without a Social Security Number (SSN) or US bank account?
  • A) As UC Davis resumes in-person instruction and research during Fall 2021, it is the expectation that employees will be present at their designated work location
    B) UC Davis is permitting temporary work from outside of the United States through Fall 2021 term for international graduate students who may be subject to travel restrictions, unable to obtain or renew their visa.  Graduate Studies will review departmental requests to employ international graduate students working abroad during fall quarter on a case-by-case basis
     We cannot currently guarantee employment to students outside the U.S. beyond Fall 2021.
    C) Yes, you may be employed without a SSN and/or US bank account.  You can apply for a SSN and self-report the information once issued.  If employed without a US bank account with direct deposit, wages will be mailed via check from UCPath to your domestic or international address on file. 
  • Can new/continuing international students enroll in all online coursework?
  • Review the Guidance for F-1 Nonimmigrant Students for Winter and Spring 2021 on the SISS website.
  • What do I do if I have an immunization hold, but I can't complete the requirement because I'm outside the US?
  • Contact the Student Health and Counseling Center, via e-health messaging, and explain your situation.  They are updating immunization holds on a case-by-case basis.
  • How will I complete my degree while outside the US impact Optional Practical Training (OPT)?
  • Typically, students are supposed to apply for OPT from within the US.  SISS is not yet sure how USCIS will adjudicate applications submitted while abroad.  There is a risk that students who apply while abroad could lose their application fees. Check the SISS website for current guidance before applying.
  • Will the Test of English Proficiency (TOEP) be available online?
  • Yes, International and Academic English is offering the TOEP online.  Check the TOEP website for information and registration.  
  • Do international students have access to UC SHIP (health insurance)?
  • All students must be insured per UC Policy.  You are automatically enolled in UC SHIP unless you’ve been approved for a waiver. If you have your own insurance, you can apply for a UC SHIP waiver.  Check the eligibility criteria before you apply.  The services at Student Health and Counseling Services (HCS) are available to all students, even if you waive enrollment in UC SHIP.
    • Review the Insurance for International Students webpage.
    • International students who are in Davis, CA - you can access the full services available at SHCS.  
    • If you are in the US, but outside Davis - Telehealth appointments can be made at the SHCS.  Other appointments, except emergency room visits, require a referral from SHCS.  You can learn more about how to access services on the How to Use UC SHIP website.
    • If you are outside the US - When outside the US, your UC SHIP plan acts as an out of network plan.  This means you pay up front and file a claim for reimbursement. UC SHIP covers most out-of-network care at 60% of Usual and Customary Charges. Use the Global Core website to search for a provider by country/city and to access claim forms.  Review the Services Outside the US section at the bottom of the How to Use UC SHIP website and the BCBS Global Care brochure for more information

    If you have questions about waving or using UC SHIP, email
  • Do I need to notify SISS if my address changes?  When should I do that?
  • It depends on your circumstances:
    • Physical relocation within the US: Yes, International students who are in the United States are required to notify SISS of a change of address within 10 days of their physical relocation. This is done through your iGlobal portal.
    • Leaving the US due to COVID-19: No, international students who leave the United States or who are remaining out of the United States due to COVID-19 do not have to report a change of address. SISS has been surveying international students. At the beginning of the quarter, SISS will make a required notation for these students in SEVIS.
  • How will international students receive funding?
  • • Tuition and fees covered by fellowships or remission from employment are processed automatically within the accounting system.  
    • Fellowship stipends - If you have signed up for direct deposit, you may have your stipend deposited directly to a bank account in a U.S.-based bank; otherwise, you will be issued a paper check that will be mailed to your international home address.  You have a choice to receive your stipend funds during the quarter they are awarded or postpone receiving your stipend until you arrive in the US.
    • Pay from employment - If you have signed up for direct deposit, you may have your stipend deposited directly to a bank account in a U.S.-based bank; otherwise, you will be issued a paper check that will be mailed to your international home address.


  • Who can I contact with questions or to schedule advising?
  • For questions related to program degree requirements, registration holds, course selection, scheduling, or questions about research and your major field, start by contacting your Graduate Program Coordinator or a faculty Graduate Advisor in your program.  Contact information for Coordinators and Grad Advisors is available on your Program Page.

    Graduate Studies Senior Academic Advisors (SAAs) are available to advise on degree milestones, Graduate Council and campus policies, graduation requirements, mentorship conflict, and issues student's would feel more comfortable discussing with someone outside their program. 
    •  Contact the SAA's and Academic Services team by emailing
    •  Schedule an appointment with any of the SAA's through the appointment system.  Select Graduate Studies in the Offices dropdown, and select a preferred date/time for your appointment.  
  • How do I submit forms to Graduate Studies
  • Students must email their forms to their Graduate Program Coordinators according to their department process. Graduate program coordinators are responsible for submitting completed forms to the Senior Academic Advisors (SAA) in Graduate Studies.
  • How will delays in my academic progress from the COVID-19 pandemic impact my time to degree?
  • In recognition of the impact that pandemic-related closures have had on all graduate students at UC Davis, Graduate Studies, with the support of Graduate Council, has provided a one-year blanket extension of time to degree for students. The quarters from Spring 2020 to Spring 2021 will not be counted against a graduate student’s normative time to degree.  No request or form is needed to utilize additional quarters.
    Doctoral students: According to the normative time to degree policy, doctoral students have 12 registered quarters after passing the QE to file their dissertation.  Graduate Studies will not count the quarters from Spring 2020 to Spring 2021 as part of the 12 quarter calculation.
    Master's students: Normative time to degree for master's students is determined by the student's graduate program and is listed in the program's degree requirements.  Programs should not count the quarters from Spring 2020 to Spring 2021 towards master's student's normative time.  

    The blanket exception of normative time to degree is not a guarantee of extended funding or employment, Graduate Studies is working closely with programs and campus partners to explore potential financial support options.  We will reassess in the future if additional measures may be required; in the meantime, we encourage all students to work closely with their faculty to adapt their plans to make progress in their research in different ways than anticipated.  Students can contact their assigned Senior Academic Advisor in Graduate Studies for more information.
  • Do I qualify for in-absentia status if I’m not in California?
  • Maybe, the eligibility requirements for In Absentia have not changed: 
    • Doctoral students must have advanced to candidacy, Master’s students must have completed at least three registered quarters.
    • Research or coursework must be directly related to the student’s degree program as evidenced by UC faculty approval.
    • Research or coursework must be of a nature that makes it necessary to be completed outside of California for at least one full academic term.
    • Research or coursework must involve only indirect supervision appropriate to evaluating the student’s academic progress and performance (e.g., correspondence via e-mail or review of written work) from UC faculty.
    • Research or coursework must involve no significant studying or in-person collaboration with UC faculty.
    If you meet those requirements, you may submit an in absentia form to your Graduate Program Coordinator for review by the Graduate Studies Senior Academic Advisors.
  • Can I take my Qualifying Exam remotely or in-person in Summer/Fall?
  •   We are starting to transition back to in-person QE's, but this will be done in stages during Summer 2021 and Fall 2021.
    •   Summer 2021 Qualifying Exams are approved as fully remote exams, but may be held in-person, by request, with the option for one or more (by exception) remote committee member(s).  
    •   Fall 2021 Qualifying Exams are expected to be held in-person with the option for one or more (by exception) remote committee member(s).  
           •   For Fall 2021 QE's only, Graduate Studies will review requests for more than one remote members in an approved in-person QE, but only in exceptional circumstances.  
    •   QE's held after Fall 2021 will be conducted in person with the option of one remote committee member. 

    More information on the timeline and processes is available on the Return to In-Person Qualifying Examinations webpage.
  • Do I have to wear a mask for an in-person qualifying exam or dissertation defense?
  • Yes, all in-person participants must wear a face covering.  As of July 28, everyone is required to wear face coverings indoors regardless of vaccination status.  More information about UC Davis public health policies and requirements is available on the Campus Ready website.
  • How do I take a leave or break from my program in Fall 2021?
  • Continuing graduate students may take up to three quarters of Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP), which guarantees return to the graduate program after the leave.  For longer term breaks, students should consider withdrawing with the option of applying for readmission at a later date.  Information about PELP is available on the Planned Educational Leave program (PELP) webpage.  The Withdrawal and Readmission page includes information about the process for withdrawing, the cancellation/withdrawal webform, and how to return to your program.

    Please note that enrolled students are charged a percentage of fees if they apply for PELP or withdraw after quarter instruction has begun.  The OUR Schedule of Refunds determines the percentage based on the date the student's enrollment status is updated.  


  • Will I be able to take courses remotely in Fall 2021?
  • Fall quarter courses are being held in-person, with few exceptions for courses that were approved by campus to be held remotely. Students cannot request to take their course(s) remotely for the entire quarter. Instructional accommodations may be made for students who cannot attend class because they test positive for COVID or come into close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID (see question below). Note that these accommodations will only cover the period in which the student is required to quarantine/isolate and does not cover the entire quarter.
  • What should I do if I am not able to attend my course(s) because I test positive for COVID and/or I was exposed to someone who has?
  • Students are expected to attend their courses in-person in the fall and follow the campus testing requirements. If you test positive for COVID-19 or come into close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, you will receicve instructions from Student Health and Counseling services and must follow the campus protocol for required self-isolation, quarantine, and testing. You should contact your instructors right away and inform them of your situation and coordinate regarding coursework. Instructional accommodations may be made for students who cannot attend class because they test positive for COVID or come into close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID.
  • Do I need to wear a mask during in-person class?
  • Yes, you must wear a well-fitted face covering that covers your nose and mouth at all times. Everyone is required to wear face coverings indoors regardless of vaccination status. If you see someone not wearing a face covering or wearing it incorrectly, then kindly ask them to mask up.
  • Can I take my course(s) Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) in Fall 2021?
  • The COVID-related exceptions for S/U grading are no longer in effect starting Fall 2021 (see policy page for details). The regular policy on S/U optional grading is now in effect. Prior to advancement to candidacy, you may petition to take one graded upper division or graduate course per term to be graded on an S/U basis with the approval of your Graduate Advisor. The course must be outside your academic major. Each program has guidelines for which of their courses may be taken S/U.  Make an appointment with your Graduate Advisor to discuss the courses you would like to take S/U.  You may not revert to the original grade mode once your petition has been processed. 

    Deadline: The Grade Mode Change petition should be submitted by the 25th day of instruction
  • Can I drop a course after the deadline (10th day of instruction) in Summer 2021?
  • Graduate students may petition to drop a course until the last day of instruction.  If you would like to drop all your courses for the quarter, you must submit the Office of the University Registrar Cancellation/Withdrawal webform.  


  • What if I need more time to complete my degree, but I reach the 18 quarter ASE (TA, AI, Reader) limit?
  • On Friday, June 19, 2020, UC Provost Michael Brown announced a temporary extension of the total length of service for academic student employees (ASE) up to 21 quarters, for matriculated students during the quarters in which instruction is substantially impacted by COVID-19This means that students who enrolled in any of the affected quarters including: Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Winter 2021, and Spring 2021 can receive permission to extend their total length of service to a maximum of 21 quarters at any point in the future. For example, a Fall 2020 incoming Ph.D. student who starts their first ASE appointment before 2022-2023 will likely not reach their 18 quarter service limit until 2028-2029, but they would still be able to request additional quarters (up to 21) of ASE appointments because the student was a "matriculated student at UC during the quarters in which instruction was substantially impacted by COVID-19."
  • Can I work as a TA or GSR remotely?
  • As UC Davis resumes in-person instruction and research during Fall 2021, it is the expectation that employees will be present at their designated work location. UC Davis is permitting temporary work from outside of the United States through Fall 2021 term for international graduate students who may be subject to travel restrictions, unable to obtain or renew their visa.  Graduate Studies will review departmental requests to employ international graduate students working abroad during fall quarter on a case-by-case basis.
  • What happens if my TA/Reader section is cut due to low enrollment?
  • You should communicate with your supervisor and departmental staff to stay aware of the changes to operations, course appointments and instructional delivery methods.  Compensation equal to that in your employment contract is protected for students with contracts in place for a given quarter. For more information, talk to your supervisor and refer to the collective bargaining agreement between the University of California and the United Auto Workers 2865.

  • Are there funds to buy equipment?
  • Financial Aid and Scholarships can provide eligible graduate FAFSA filers with a computer loan for up to $2,500. This loan can be requested once during a student's time at UC Davis. Visit the Financial Aid website to learn more. 

  • What if I become ill or need to care for someone who is?
  • The Graduate Studies Policy for Family and Medical Leave Accommodation for Graduate Students with Funding (GS2015-01) is designed to accommodate outside demands so students can successfully complete their program of study. There are several types of leave available to doctoral and master’s students, including students in self-supporting and professional degree programs, who hold an academic employment appointment. For more information on eligibility requirements and the different types of leave, visit our Family and Medical Leave webpage.


  • Where can I find guidance about remote teaching?
  • Review Keep Teaching: Strategies and Resources for Instructional Resilience. This site provides practical resources and strategies for moving part or all of a course online to help instructors keep teaching. It provides contacts for support from Academic Technology Services and the Center for Educational Effectiveness. Teaching and technology experts stand ready to consult with instructors on any part of the process of maintaining instructional excellence while teaching elements of a course online. 
  • How can I request an exception from in-person teaching for fall 2021?
  • The default mode of instruction for fall 2021 will be in-person as described by Academic Affairs it the July 22, 2021 message to all instructors. Graduate students with an "Associate in ____" (AI) title can submit a request for exception by submitting the Request for Emergency Remote Fall 2021 Instruction Form. These requests will be reviewed by the Committee for Adjustments and Alterations of Instruction for Fall 2021 (CAAIF). CAAIF will consider requests for exception that fall under at least one of two categories: 1) Exceptions related to the instructor's medical condition, and/or 2) Exceptions related to a medical situation involving someone in the instructor's immediate family or home or other COVID-19 related issue. 


Guidelines for UC Davis Research Ramp Up/Ramp Down
Guidelines to Address Graduate Student Concerns Related to the Research Ramp-up

  • What do I do if my project is taking longer due to COVID-19 shut-down or additional lab safety protocols?
  • Delays can have an impact on your time to degree and financial support.  In order to mitigate that conflict, UCOP has provided a three quarter blanket exception on time to degree for all students and three additional quarters of TA eligibility.  If you have an internal or external grant, you may request a ‘no-cost extension’.
  • What do I do if my lab has not been deemed essential and I can’t conduct my research?
  • This is a situation many students and faculty are dealing with.  Remember that even if you are allowed to be in-person at the lab, your work is likely going to change because of new lab safety requirements.  Much of your success will depend on your lab’s ability to work as a group and come up with creative alternatives.  Some suggestions include:
    • Ask your advisors, P.I. and colleagues how they’ve coped with limited or no access to the lab. 
    • Strategize new questions or different ways the questions can be asked to accommodate the resources you have. 
    • Make progress in a different area of the project (i.e. parts of the project that can be written, process description, utilize published data).
    • Take time to learn a new tool 
          • Shields Library offers online tutorials/workshops and research support resources (i.e. reference management systems such as EndNote)
                • Try out the library's temporary access trial databases
                • Click your field on the Subject Guide
          • Join the Davis R Users Group
    • Conduct collaborative Zoom group meetings to discuss alternatives to traditional research

  • My major professor/P.I. is pressuring me to return to the lab/field-site, but I’m not comfortable returning in-person.  What can I do?
  • In many cases, your P.I. may not be aware of personal circumstances that affect your ability to begin in-person lab/field work.   
    • Your first step should be to let them know of your concerns and ask for or offer any suggestions for alternatives to in-person work.  
    • You and your PI should discuss the lab safety plan in detail. There may be aspects you or they have not considered (i.e. we can social distance at the field site, but how are we going to social distance on the way to and from the site?). 
    • If there are other students involved in the project, talk to your colleagues about their feelings.  Meet with the P.I. as a group to discuss the plan moving forward.  

    If you’ve had these discussions and you are still feeling pressured or you do not feel comfortable speaking to your P.I.:
    • Notify your Program Chair, your College Dean’s Office, or one of the Graduate Studies Associate Dean’s and explain the situation and your concerns.
               • The above-mentioned authorities will do their best to protect you from potential retaliation. Retaliation is never acceptable.  
               • Reporting safety concerns is encouraged for both your safety and the safety of all the other students working in that lab and with that P.I.


As the campus has shifted to remote learning, departments within the Division of Student Affairs have gone virtual to continue to support and empower students in ways that align with public health and safety guidelines. We anticipate that services will evolve and expand over time, and we will continue to update and add information to their Virtual UC Davis web page. We encourage you to check both the Virtual UC Davis page and this FAQ frequently for updated information.

UC Davis Basic Needs Resource Hub - This online document is a comprehensive, up-to-date compilation of local on and off-campus resources for students, encompassing Food Access, Housing, Financial Stability, Academic Performance, Physical and Mental Wellness, etc.  If you are concerned about your basic needs resources (food, housing, financial stability), you can fill out a basic needs assessment, and be contacted by staff who can provide options for support.

Case Managers from the Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs (OSSJA) are available to assist graduate students with a variety of needs. Submit a Student Support Referral and a campus case manager will reach out to provide resources.

  • What mental health services are available?
  • The Student Health and Counseling Center provides mental health resources through several formats.  More information is available on the Counseling Services webpage and on the Covid-19 Mental Health Resources flyer.
    •  Mental Health Crisis Consultation Services are available by calling (530) 752-0871, or by texting RELATE to 741741
    •  Counseling Services offers individual counseling via secure video conferencing or by telephone consultation.  You can schedule an appointment via the Health-e-Messaging secure portal or by calling (530) 752-0871. 
    •  SHCS has partnered with LiveHealth Online to provide no cost online health and mental health services for students.  Links to access and coupon codes are available on the Online Visits site.
    •  Dr. Bai-Yin Chen is a psychologist specializing in college mental health and graduate student concerns and issues.  Graduate students can email her at  

    Students Residing in the United States (Outside of California)
    • If you have UC SHIP, you can make a no-cost video appointment with Live Health Online.
    • If you have a different insurance provider, contact your insurance company to find out about the mental health resources available through your plan.
    •If you are unable to use insurance for mental health support, visit the SHCS website for information on how to get a Live Health Online coupon code.

    Students Residing Outside of the United States
    • Learn about specific mental health resources available in your location and/or with your insurance coverage. Call 530-752-0871 or visit to schedule an appointment with a Mental Health Advocacy Specialist.
  • Who can I talk to about academic or employment accommodations?
  • Disability Specialists from the Student Disability Center (SDC) are available by phone or Zoom appointments and drop-in hours.  The SDC staff provide support for students with disabilities but also advise faculty and TA’s on providing accommodations in the classroom. The Graduate Studies Disability Specialist is Abigail Tilden (  

    Disability services for graduate student employees are provided by Disability Management Services.
  • If I’m not at UC Davis, how do I use UC SHIP (health insurance)?
  • All students must be insured per UC Policy.  You are automatically enrolled in UC SHIP unless you’ve been approved for a waiver.  If you have your own insurance, you can apply for a UC SHIP waiver.  Check the eligibility criteria before you apply.  The services at Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) are available to all students, even if you waive enrollment in UC SHIP.

    If you are outside Davis, CA, you can make a telehealth appointment with providers with SHCS.  All appointments except emergency room visits require referall from SHCS.  Find out more about access on the How to Use UC SHIP and UC Get Care websites.  If you have questions about waving or using UC SHIP, email
    Information about using UC SHIP if you are outside the US is available in the International Student section of the FAQ.

  • I need access to childcare in order to devote time to my instruction and research. Are there any programs available for graduate students?
  • The UC Davis Child Care Funding program consists of two grants, the Graduate Student Child Care Grant and the Community Based Care Grant. Both are designed to partially defray student families' child care expenses. The Graduate Student Child Care Grant (GSCCG) is available to Graduate and Professional students, while the Community Based Care Grant (CBCG) is available to all students identified with financial need. To learn more about each of these grant opportunities and application processes, please visit the Human Resources website.
    Student parent resources are listed on the Women’s Resources and Research Center Website, and here is a How to Find Childcare guide from UC Davis Worklife.
  • What are my child care options?
  • The Human Resources website features a list of child care options in both Davis and Sacramento.


  • Are the Graduate Studies offices open?
  • Starting September 20, the Graduate Center will be open Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., excluding university holidays. Contact information for Graduate Studies staff members is available on our staff directory. Students may schedule an appointment with their Senior Academic Advisor through our appointment system.  Select 'Graduate Studies' in the Offices dropdown, select one of the advisor's schedules, and select an available time that works for you.  When scheduling, include a little information about what you'd like to discuss.  
  • Can I reserve space in the new Graduate Center at Walker Hall?
  • The Graduate Center’s informal meeting space and common areas are open to members of the graduate community. Registered graduate student organizations and postdoctoral scholars may reserve official meeting space within the Graduate Center. Learn more on the facilities reservations page.

  • I'm just visiting campus. Do I have to take the Daily Symptom Survey?
  • Everyone — students, employees, visitors — must complete a Daily Symptom Survey before entering a university-managed facility. A daily symptom survey is a requirement for all UC Davis-operated facilities anywhere in California and serves as a reminder to pay attention to your symptoms.  The survey sends you an email to indicate whether you’re Approved or Not Approved to enter campus facilities. You will need to present this email at facility access points. The Daily Symptom Survey for students and employees is currently part of the Health-e-Messaging portal, the same system where you make an appointment for asymptomatic testing. The Daily Symptom Survey is now able to access information about COVID-19 testing and vaccination status. Learn more about the Daily Symptom Survey on the Campus Ready website.

  • Do I still need to wear a mask?
  • As of July 28, everyone is required to wear face coverings indoors regardless of vaccination status. Unvaccinated people are also required to wear face coverings while outdoors in crowded spaces and when inside vehicles with other people. If a person is vaccinated, the only time a mask can be removed indoors is when that person is alone in an enclosed office. If a person is unvaccinated, they must wear a mask indoors, unless you are in a private office alone. When alone in a cubicle with wall heights higher than the occupant's head when seated, removing a mask when actively eating is permissible.