Skip to main content

UCPath: Graduate Studies FAQ

General Questions

  • What is UCPath? 
  • UCPath is a new IT system being rolled out across the University of California to handle payroll for all UC employees. 
  • When will UCPath go into effect at UC Davis? 
  • UCPath will go into effect in September of this year, making October 1 the first pay date for most employees.
  • Who should I contact with questions about UCPath?
  • For general questions about the UCPath program and UC Davis deployments, visit the UC Davis UCPath website. For specific information about how UCPath will affect employees, employees may wish to contact their supervisors, department managers, or the UCPath Center.
  • What is the UCPath Center?
  • The UCPath Center is the shared services hub for the UC system where payroll, benefits and human resources information will be centralized to ensure that employees receive consistent, accurate job related information. UCPath Center staff provides individualized support to UC employees and will be available Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except on UC holidays
  • Do I have to use Kerberos/CAS or Duo for each login?
  • You will log in using Kerberos/CAS authentication. You will need to use DuO the first time you log in, at which time you can set DuO to remember your device for 14 days. If you have not yet enrolled for duo, you can complete the process on the UC Davis Move to Duo website

  • How do I login to UCPath?
  • The first time you log in to UCPath (after September 27) at You’ll be prompted to set up five security questions. The security questions help verify your identity and prevent unauthorized access or changes to your financial, health benefits or personal information. You’ll also be asked to complete a questionnaire. This voluntary questionnaire allows you to self-identify veteran and disability status, race, ethnicity, gender identity and sexual orientation. You can “decline to state” for any question, though this information provides important data about UC employee diversity and informs UC’s efforts to create an inclusive environment. Learn more about logging in by visiting this UCPath article.

Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Scholars

  • How can graduate students and postdoctoral scholars prepare for the transition to UCPath?
  • The UCPath team is encouraging graduate students and postdocs to complete the following actions to prepare for the UCPath transition:

    1. Enroll in Duo multi-factor authentication.
    2. Make sure your personal information is current in At Your Service Online.
    3. Sign up for direct deposit.
    4. Elect for electronic delivery of your W2.
    5. Save and print copies of your three most recent earnings statements.

    Graduate Studies has published a guide with detailed instruction on how to complete these actions.

  • What types of pay for graduate students are generated by the UC Path Center? 
  • UC Path pays the salary earned by graduate students for employment as a Teaching Assistant, Associate In_, Reader, Tutor, and Graduate Student Researcher, as well as students hired into casual appointments (such as a Student Assistant).

    UC Path is not involved with the payment of fellowship stipends, such as Graduate Program Fellowship, recruitment fellowships, external fellowships, etc.

    Because graduate student employment is complex, with many students holding multiple appointments and switching between appointment types, configuring UC Path to accurately handle graduate student pay has been a significant challenge across the UC system. Some errors have occurred, and we hope that these have been significantly reduced over time.

  • What should I do if my pay is incorrect or if I did not receive a paycheck?
  • Alert your supervisor, graduate program coordinator, or department manager immediately if you haven’t been paid. We are asking departments to immediately notify their service channels if students are working and aren’t getting paid so we can process an emergency paycheck during one of two daily check runs at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

  • What should I do if my tuition, fees and health insurance were not paid?
  • All graduate student employees who should receive payment of tuition, fees, and health insurance should have those payments credited to their student accounts by the end of the first month of the quarter.  If you believe that you should have received fee remissions and they are not reflected on your account, contact UC Davis Student Accounting.
  • I’ve heard that if my UC Path employment is not processed correctly, I might not get paid for work I am currently doing. Is this true?
  • No. As long as you completed your hiring paperwork (I-9, Oath, and Patent Acknowledgement) before you started working, you will be paid for your work regardless of when the UC Path appointment is correctly entered into the system. If you are working, UC Davis will pay you, though it may be delayed.   Certain deadlines must be met in order for your pay to be timely and accurately processed.
  • I’ve received a notice regarding enrollment in a DepCare Flexible Spending Account, what is this?
  • The DepCare FSA for Academic Student Employees allows you to pay for eligible expenses for care of your child or eligible adult dependent on a pretax basis.  As a result, your salary is reduced before taxes are assessed, and you pay less in taxes. The DepCare FSA for Academic Student Employees is designed to serve the academic student employees (ASEs) represented by the UAW as well as non-represented academic student employees, including Graduate Student Researchers (GSRs.)

    - General Information
    - Examples
    - FAQ
    - Important Facts

  • I’m a graduate student and my health insurance isn’t showing up as a benefit in UCPath. Why not? Where can I find my health insurance information?
  • Student employees receive health insurance coverage through the University of California’s Student Insurance Health Plan (UC SHIP), which is available to all registered UC students.  As such, health insurance for students does not appear in UCPath.  Every campus has Student Health Center, and many campuses have a full-service pharmacy.   See the University of California SHIP site for more information.

  • I am a student from out of the area, what address should I list as my home address?
  • It is recommended you list your local Davis area address as your home address and that you change your address when you move out of the area. 

UCPath Training Resources

Do you have questions about how to use UCPath? Visit the UC Davis UCPath website to learn more about what UCPath means for you. The resources on the UCPath website detail how to manage your payroll, benefits and employee information.  If you have questions or concerns, be sure to talk to your supervisor or your department HR, Payroll, or Academic Personnel representative.